Bishop Johnnie Golden Sr. Biography
Bishop Johnnie Golden was born in Statesboro, Georgia on December 27th, 1935. He is the fourth child of twelve children to be born to William and Sally Golden.
Anyone that knows Bishop Golden personally knows this story. He arrived in Philadelphia in 1955 carrying an old suitcase tied with a piece of rope. He was a young southern man in a big city with lots of hopes and dreams. At a young age Bishop Golden accepted Jesus Christ as his Lord and Savior. He received his calling to the ministry in 1973.
Bishop Golden received his license for the ministry in April 1973 from Victory Community Baptist Church.
Pastor C. H. Royal of Victory Community Baptist Church presented Rev. Golden his certificate of Ordination to the Christian Ministry on April 14, 1974.
Upon his arriving in Philadelphia, Pastor Golden worked for FOB, A steel plant. In 1966 he was hired by PTC, which is now known as SEPTA, he held the position of a maintenance engineer. With a genuine sense of honesty and hard work, he excelled to become a diesel mechanic. In December 1976, he received his Auto Mechanics 1 Certificate. October 1984, his bus transmission certificate was awarded. April 1973 he received his final certificate in Bus Air Conditioning from the ROHR Corporation. He Continued to work for SEPTA until his early retirement in 1986.
With Twenty years of experience as a diesel mechanic at SEPTA, Rev Golden and First Lady Golden combined their resources to purchase a bus, which was in need of repair. He completed the repairs and the bus was in operation. This was the beginning of Golden Charters Incorporated, throughout the years a total of five buses was purchased.They all display the logo of Golden Charters Inc. Golden Charters is an established professional and reputable leisure line charter bus service, the bus service is patronized greatly by the Christian community.
Although Golden Charters Inc. is his legacy, his greatest accomplishment is the pastoral responsibility of St. Andrews Fellowship Baptist Church. St. Andrews .Bishop Golden was called to Pastor St. Andrews Fellowship Baptist Church in April 1977.
In 1980 Bishop Golden was able to burn the mortgage for 3933 Ridge Ave.
Bishop Golden was elevated to episcopacy of the office of Bishop on January the 11th 2003.
Bishop Golden was happily married to the late Ruby Golden who went home to be with the Lord in August 2004. Out of this union were three children Rev. Joyce Johnson, John Golden Jr.,Deacon Dean Golden and their adopted sons Eugene and James Watson. three Granddaughters, Jalimah, LaShanna, Naeemah, one grandson Jonathan, and one great grandson Jihan Johnson
Under the leadership of Bishop Johnnie Golden we have been Blessed. We followed his hopes and dreams of purchasing a new church building our dream became a reality as we marched into our new church at 4910-12 Wayne Avenue.
The Lord is taking us to higher heights and deeper depths in him and for this we are grateful.